Vegetable Paella With Chickpeas

This simple, stovetop recipe for vegetable paella can be on the table in one hour or less! A vegetarian and vegan take on the classic Spanish dish, it’s packed with veggies, chickpeas and flavor. Gluten free and dairy free.

And whether you make this vegetable paella for date night or a weeknight, I guarantee that you’ll feel all cool and fancy for getting such an awesome dish on the table.

-

Our relationship started on the good side. You see, the husband and I went on our very first date to a spanish restaurant where of course we had paella (me for the first time). It was delicious … it was a fun date. All was well.

Vegetable Paella (paella Verdura)

Fast forward a few months and we went back to the same place and realized that the food wasn’t so hot anymore. Womp womp. My love for this dish was starting to fade.

So then, we figured we should just try making it at home. We used a recipe from a friend’s dad that I’m sure was awesome, but was loosey goosey in the instructions.

And for two people who didn’t have a clue in the kitchen? Yeah, disaster. The flavors were so off and on top of that the rice wasn’t fully cooked and was weirdly crunchy and just oh so bad. And did I mention the recipe took hours to make?

Unofficial Slimming World Paella Recipe

I swore it off for the longest time but within the last two years managed to actually have delicious versions at other restaurants.

Now, let me just say that I am by no means declaring this the most authentic thing out there … but we love it and I hope you will too.

And today’s version? It’s just under an hour from start to finish. It’s also really hands off once you get everything in the skillet – which I love.

The New Vegetarian

Makes it practical for a regular type of day since I can be doing other things while it’s simmering away on the stove.

Saffron is definitely one of those more expensive ingredients. The cheapest I’ve found is at Trader Joes! <--- Not sponsored - just where I like to buy it!

Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.

Veggie Paella Recipe

Does eating dairy free sometimes feel really challenging? I got you. Get my secrets for making easy dairy free dishes you'll actually WANT to eat.I’m so excited about this paella recipe! I hope you are, too. Paella is a beautiful rice dish hailing from the east coast of Spain, near the port city of Valencia. I tried it for the first time in Barcelona about ten years ago, and none of the American versions I’ve sampled since then have come close—until now.

Paella often includes seafood or meat, but I made this paella vegetarian by mixing chickpeas into the rice and adding extra vegetables. If you were to order this in a Spanish restaurant, it would be called

Vegetarian

This paella is a great party option if your guests are following special diets. It’s vegan/vegetarian/dairy free, gluten free, nut free, and soy free. Although, I’d say it’s a great party option in general! Just add a big green salad and Spanish wine (red or white would work).

Mushroom And Fennel Fat Rice Paella

If you’re a fan of my baked risotto recipes, you’re going to love this recipe. The method is similar—you cook some aromatics in a pot, then add the rice and bake the pot on the lower rack of the oven while roasting the vegetables on the upper rack. Layer the vegetables on top of the baked rice, and you’re basically done.

The recipe might look long at first glance, but please don’t feel intimidated. The ingredients are basic, and the method is surprisingly simple. This is not a recipe to start when you’re starving, since it will require about 50 minutes in the oven. However, most of the cooking time is passive. If you’re making this for a party, you’ll have plenty of time to clean the kitchen before guests arrive.

For this recipe to work, you’ll need to use the proper equipment. Paella is typically made in a paella pan (called a

Spanish Vegetable And Chickpea Paella

), but I did my best to find a more common pan option. For this recipe, you’re going to need a large Dutch oven or a large skillet with a snug-fitting lid (both of which must be oven-safe). Baking the rice is the best way to ensure the proper texture—paella rice should be nice and tender, but far from soggy.

Pour the boiling rice mixture into a casserole dish, cover it tightly with foil, and bake as directed. I’m just not entirely sure it will work since I haven’t tried, and it sounds potentially dangerous.

Vegetable

Artichokes aside, you might not find this red bell pepper and Kalamata olive combination in authentic Spanish paella. They are common Spanish ingredients, though, and they’re the most feasible vegetarian alternatives to shrimp and mussels that I could come up with. You could use any vegetables you’d like, really. Just roast them until they’re nice and tender.

Summer Vegetable Paella

Traditionally, paella is made with bomba rice, a Spanish variety of short-grain white rice. I don’t know where to buy bomba rice here in the States, and I personally can’t tolerate white rice (hypoglycemia) so I used short-grain brown rice instead. Check my recipe notes for other rice options, which may affect baking time.

If you love smoked paprika and/or peas, I believe you could safely double the amounts below. Saffron is standard in paella, but it’s the most expensive of spices and I couldn’t really taste it in the end product, so I made it optional.

Is the irresistibly golden and crispy bottom you’ll find in awesome traditional paellas. It’s not easy to attain a perfect socarrat at home, since we’re using basic home equipment instead of a special paella pan over an open flame.

Slimming World Syn Free: Vegetable Paella Recipe

If you want to give the socarrat a shot, just remove the lid on the baked rice and heat the rice over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. It’s hard to know when exactly to pull the pan off the heat, and you might end up with some semi-burnt rice on the bottom—which I actually enjoy.

If the socarrat leaves burnt bits on the bottom of your fancy Le Creuset, the easiest way to remove them is to scrub off what you can, then generously sprinkle baking soda and a splash of warm water on the pan. Let it soak for a while, then it should scrub right off.

Paella

As always, please let me know how this dish turns out for you in the comments! I hope you love it just as much as I do. I’m counting down the days until I get to eat paella again in Barcelona with my friends Ali and Barclay!

Spring Vegetable Paella Recipe

The best vegetable paella recipe! It’s loaded with vegetables, chickpeas, and savory, smoky rice. This Spanish dish is perfect for serving at dinner parties, since it’s vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. Recipe yields 6 hearty servings.

*Rice options: You can choose a different rice, but the baking time for the rice will vary according to the variety. White Valencia or arborio rice will be done baking at 25 to 35 minutes. Long-grain brown rice will be done baking at 55 to 60 minutes.

**Wine suggestions: I recommend using a dry, unoaked white wine, such as Sauvignon blanc or Pinot grigio. If you’re avoiding alcohol, just replace it with vegetable broth.

Paella With Chickpeas, Green Beans, And Shishito Peppers

The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. See our full nutrition disclosure here.

Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #.

-

Subscribe to our email newsletter! As a thank you, we'll give you our welcome guide with 5 printable dinner recipes. (It's all free.)

Spanish Chickpeas And Rice

© Cookie and Kate 2010 - 2023. All rights reserved. Cookie and Kate is a registered trademark of Cookie and Kate LLC.