Chicken And Rabbit Paella

Paella Valenciana is my take on a traditional Spanish recipe made with chicken, rabbit, green beans, artichokes, broad beans and no seafood

Using bone-in cuts of meat helps to keep it moist and succulent and it still cooks in under an hour, including preparation!

Paella

But there are so many more, Jollof from West Africa, Jambalaya from the US or NasiGoreng from Indonesia, to name but a few!

Valencian Chicken And Rabbit Paella

Like all of my recipes, I have taken some liberties. But in the main this remains a pretty traditional retelling of a classic paella Valenciana.

But please do not think that you must have this to make the recipe, yes, it makes a difference, but it is still glorious without it.

There is a beautiful simplicity about a well-cooked paella. They are not strikingly beautiful and you should never trust a paella that is!

Spanish Paella Recipe (paella Valenciana)

You can, at a push, use risotto rice, it will not be perfect and the food police will be shocked at the suggestion. But it will work and be a half-decent approximation.

It is also vital that you do not stir your rice. When you make a risotto the stirring releases the starches which gives it the classic creamy texture.

That is the very last thing you want when cooking paella. You want to treat your rice with kid gloves, pour it gently and don’t mess around with it beyond flattening it out.

Paella Of Chicken And Rabbit From Valencia Original Recipe In Spain Stock Photo

At a push yes, but paella pans generally return better results because they promote the best part of the paella, the socarrat. The “crispy” caramelised rice crust that forms at the edges of the dish.

Paella

This recipe is written with a stovetop in mind. But there really are no real changes needed to cook this on a BBQ.

The key is setting up the BBQ coals, you need high heat, medium heat and “no” heat. So work from left to right and work from a thick layer of coals to no coals.

Spanish Paella Recipe (seafood, Chicken, & Chorizo)

Work over the thick layer of coals for the first cooking phase, then move to the medium-thick layer until the rice is almost cooked. Then cover it with foil and put it to the side with no coals… Simple hey?

This classic paella Valenciana is a one-bowl dish as far as I am concerned and it really does not need a side dish.

Chicken

I only name-check brands of equipment if I think they make a material difference to a recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.

Abuelo's Rabbit Paella

This traditional paella recipe is based on what is thought to be one of the earliest versions, Valenciana paella containing made with rabbit, chicken, beans and artichokes.

If you made this recipe, I'd love to see what you did and what I can do better, share a picture with me on Instagram and tag me @brian and tell me how it went!

This paella looks and sounds so good! It's one of those dishes I love but have never cooked! I want to try it but also without snails, even though my garden is full of them!!!

Paella

Paella With Rabbit And Snails (paella Valenciana)

Lol, I have to confess that whilst I am not abhorred by the idea of eating snails they are certainly not my first choice as an ingredient ;)

While I've made biryani many times, I've never made paella before so seeing how you made this delicious concoction on the bbq is blowing my mind! fantastic! delicious! And so gorgeous too! BTW - thanks for the suggestion as to which type of rice to use for this.

You are welcome... I'm much more familiar with Biriyani too but have been playing around with Paella for about 12 months and love it... The way the rice cooks slightly differently is key, the crispy bits, the soft bits are all part of the canvas of paella.

Rezept: Vegane Paella