Shrimp Piaya

This easy recipe of sausage and shrimp paella is my version to help you make delicious Spanish paella at home without much fuss.

Even before starting with anything, let me state the disclaimer first. This recipe of sausage and shrimp paella, by no means, is an absolutely authentic paella recipe! It is my version of paella which I have tweaked according to our taste and liking.

Shrimp

Paella is a gorgeous Spanish dish loaded with seafood and sausages. The distinctive saffron color of paella gives it an extra ordinary feature making it incredibly attractive.

Shrimp And Scallop Paella

Now my paella contains shrimps as the only seafood as we are not too fond of clams or mussels. Also I used chicken sausage whereas authentic Spanish paella use chorizo which is very rarely available here in my city.

Even after all these modifications and adaptations this sausage and shrimp paella turned out to be a Rockstar! It not only looks fantastic but is a real killer in terms of taste and flavor. If you have already fallen in love with its good looks, give it a try and there will be no looking back henceforth!

While researching about paella, I got to know about Bomba rice which is the Spanish rice used in traditional paella. But it’s almost impossible to get my hands on it, so I used our regular rice and I was happy with it.

Chicken Chorizo & Shrimp Paella

You won’t need a long grain rice for paella. Any short grain rice with good amount of starch will work nicely for the paella recipe.

Now there is one ingredient which you must not substitute and I can’t stress enough on it! That ingredient is the saffron infused shrimp stock which on one hand lends the gorgeous saffron color to the paella and on the other hand adds the intense seafood flavor to the rice.

The saffron color and the rich shrimp flavor are the specialties of paella which gives it its exclusiveness, so, please please do not substitute it with chicken stock or water; just check out my short & swift video on how to make shrimp stock quick and easy.

Spanish Shrimp Paella Recipe, Whats Cooking America

It’s just a matter of few minutes and you will be able to create amazing Spanish paella at home to delight yourself and your friends & family!

Life is all about learning new things in each passing day and take a step further in what you love to do for living. This blog has given me a space to nurture my passion for food and cooking and allow me to learn about enumerable cuisines across the globe.

I know this journey is never ending and that’s what excites me the most. I will never be out of recipe and there will always be something new to cook and taste!

Easy

Easy Seafood Paella With Mussels & Shrimp

I am pretty sure that had it not been for the blog, I would have never thought of making paella at home. Rather I would have enjoyed it occasionally in some Spanish restaurants and wonder how could they make such a wonderful dish.

My blog has helped me realize that when you learn something with your utmost passion, nothing is impossible; not even cooking a lip-smacking Spanish paella in a typical Indian kitchen!Spanish Rice Dish Paella Recipe ‐ This simple Shrimp and Chorizo Paella is easy to make, has classic paella ingredients with all Spanish flavors. Feed and impress a crowd with this paella recipe!

I have been working on this Shrimp and Chorizo Paella recipe for a little while, and I felt like it was time to share.  Ever since I studied in Spain, I have been wanting to make Paella.  Even though the region I lived in wasn’t particularly known for their Paella, they still had an excellent variety to choose from for those who wanted to sample this classic Spanish dish.

Smoky Shrimp Paella Recipe

Paella is a rice dish from Spain, originally from the Valencia region. Paella is named after the word “paelle” which means “pan”!

For some reason I was very intimidated by Paella, and I never quite got around to making it until now. I wanted to figure out how to make paella from scratch, using all the traditional spices.

Sausage

It took a few trial runs, but the last time I made this Shrimp and Chorizo Paella I was happy with the results. Saffron and smoked Paprika are definitely necessary.

Chicken And Shrimp Paella Recipe

It does help to get the right kind of rice and make sure to use the right amount of liquid.  I was able to find some Spanish paella rice (redondo rice, or bomba rice) but it can be hard to find.  The preferred kind of rice is a short grain white rice, so Arborio is the next best thing if you can’t find paella rice.  Be sure you read the packaging and use the amount of liquid that is recommended.

Because Paella has been a very popular dish all throughout its history, it went through a lot of adoption and adaptation. There is no one true traditional Paella list of ingredients. But at a minimum you need the following:

I wanted to put shrimp and chorizo in my paella recipe because that seemed to be closest to the kind I ate in Spain even though the traditional Valencia Paella is never made with chorizo.  Of course the seafood paella usually had mussels, clams, squid, shrimp and fish, but I wanted to keep it on the simple side so I just used shrimp. You can use any kind of meat or seafood that you would like, or even skip the meat altogether.

Easy Shrimp Paella With Smoked Chicken Sausage

The hardest part was keeping the bottom from burning.  This is partially because I have an electric stove (I would prefer gas) and partially because the pan I used was a bit thin.  If you are using an electric stove, be sure to keep the heat on low and keep an eye on it to watch for burning, and also try to choose a pan with a thicker base for better heat distribution.

Shrimp

Keyword: 30 Minute Dinners, Chorizo, Easy Recipes, Paella Recipe, Paella With Chorizo, Paella With Shrimp, Shrimp, Shrimp and Chorizo Paella, Weekend Meals, Weeknight Dinners

*If you cannot find bomba rice you can use arborio. Be sure to follow package instructions for the amount of liquid, defer to package instructions if they are different than what is listed here.

Quick Shrimp And Chicken Paella Recipe

*If you cannot find Spanish chorizo you can use andouille sausage or Kielbasa. Be sure you get the kind that is ready to eat and not one that is raw.

*I always use kosher salt. If you do not have kosher salt and are using regular table salt, reduce salt to ½ teaspoon and adjust for taste.

*Nutritional information is an estimate and is provided as a courtesy for your convenience.  If you have any diet restrictions, please do your due diligence to make sure this recipe fits your needs. 

-

Spanish Paella With Shrimp And Artichoke Hearts

Nutritional information is an estimate for your convenience. If you have strict nutritional needs, please do your due diligence to make sure this recipe fits your needs.

Did you like this recipe? Please comment, rate and share! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @ AND # so I can see what you made!