Paella Mexican Dish

This simple Spanish Paella recipe delivers amazing flavor from chorizo, shrimp, and traditional paella ingredients. It’s quick and easy enough for a weeknight family meal, but impressive enough for dinner guests!

Traveling is not really my thing – I’m quite happy being a homebody, plus I hate flying. But there are some countries on my bucket list to visit, including Spain. Mainly to experience authentic Paella. Is that weird? It’s their most beloved dish and too many American restaurants screw it up.

Weeknight

Not at all surprising how much I love paella…because RICE. Give me a big bowl of my Cilantro Lime Rice, Spanish Rice, and Rice Pilaf, and I am happy!

Mexican Paella Vs Spanish Paella

Paella is an iconic rice dish of Spain and practically synonymous with Spanish cuisine. It’s a colorful mixture of flavored rice and various meats or seafood, getting its name from the paellera, the flat, round pan in which it’s cooked.

While it’s incredibly easy to make, it’s also easy to get it wrong. There are 4 elements that separate it from just any ‘ol rice dish.

For real authentic Paella, yes. A true paella pan is large, round, and shallow with two looped handles. The emphasis is on diameter, rather than height. The flat bottom ensures the rice cooks in a thin layer and is what helps develop that awesome socarrat that I mentioned above. The pan is actually so important that it’s where the name comes from – the word “paelle” means “pan.”

Spanish Paella De Marisco Recipe (seafood Paella)

If you don’t have a paella pan, an acceptable alternative is a skillet. Use one that is stainless-steel or aluminum. Stay away from cast-iron (which retains too much heat) or nonstick pans (which will never give you the socarrat we’re after.) Try to use a heat source that can accommodate the whole paella pan or skillet. If your burners are a bit spaced out, you’ll need to move and rotate the pan a bit while cooking to evenly distribute the heat.

Interestingly enough, true authentic paella, dating back to the 1800’s, usually consisted of rabbit, snails, chicken, maybe some eel, and lima beans. Sounds delicious, right? Not. Luckily, that list is in the history books and not typically used today. But purists will argue anything other than those ingredients and you’ve simply got arroz en paella (rice in a paella pan.) But I say if you stick with the 4 elements I talked about, it’s Paella!

Now that I’ve probably scared you off from making this paella recipe, make it anyway! LOL. The fact is, paella, while super easy, does take practice to get it right, and I still bungle it from time to time. Even if you don’t have the right size pan, or burners close together, or accidentally use too much liquid, or stir it one too many times, this is still a delicious dish!

Brown Rice Shrimp Paella Recipe With Chorizo

I simplified the steps and ingredients to make this easy and a great option for any weeknight meal. You’re going to love it!

I hope you love this delicious and simple recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full onFacebook, Instagram, Pinterest, andYouTube!

This simple Paella recipe has amazing flavor from chorizo, shrimp, and traditional paella ingredients. Made easy enough for a weeknight family meal!

Authentic Spanish Paella

Calories: 457 kcal | Carbohydrates: 49 g | Protein: 28 g | Fat: 16 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Cholesterol: 211 mg | Sodium: 1366 mg | Potassium: 474 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 4 g | Vitamin A: 1466 IU | Vitamin C: 10 mg | Calcium: 138 mg | Iron: 5 mg

Nutritional information given is an automatic calculation and can vary based on the exact products you use and any changes you make to the recipe. If these numbers are very important to you, I would recommend calculating them yourself.

Best

Subscribe for free to receive new weekly recipes and instantly get a week’s worth of family meals that are quick, easy, and inexpensive to make!Spanish Rice Dish Paella Recipe ‐ This simple Shrimp and Chorizo Paella is easy to make, has classic paella ingredients with all Spanish flavors. Feed and impress a crowd with this paella recipe!

Easy Seafood Paella With Mussels & Shrimp

I have been working on this Shrimp and Chorizo Paella recipe for a little while, and I felt like it was time to share.  Ever since I studied in Spain, I have been wanting to make Paella.  Even though the region I lived in wasn’t particularly known for their Paella, they still had an excellent variety to choose from for those who wanted to sample this classic Spanish dish.

Paella is a rice dish from Spain, originally from the Valencia region. Paella is named after the word “paelle” which means “pan”!

For some reason I was very intimidated by Paella, and I never quite got around to making it until now. I wanted to figure out how to make paella from scratch, using all the traditional spices.

Spanish Vegan Paella

It took a few trial runs, but the last time I made this Shrimp and Chorizo Paella I was happy with the results. Saffron and smoked Paprika are definitely necessary.

It does help to get the right kind of rice and make sure to use the right amount of liquid.  I was able to find some Spanish paella rice (redondo rice, or bomba rice) but it can be hard to find.  The preferred kind of rice is a short grain white rice, so Arborio is the next best thing if you can’t find paella rice.  Be sure you read the packaging and use the amount of liquid that is recommended.

Shrimp

Because Paella has been a very popular dish all throughout its history, it went through a lot of adoption and adaptation. There is no one true traditional Paella list of ingredients. But at a minimum you need the following:

Spanish Seafood Paella With Chorizo

I wanted to put shrimp and chorizo in my paella recipe because that seemed to be closest to the kind I ate in Spain even though the traditional Valencia Paella is never made with chorizo.  Of course the seafood paella usually had mussels, clams, squid, shrimp and fish, but I wanted to keep it on the simple side so I just used shrimp. You can use any kind of meat or seafood that you would like, or even skip the meat altogether.

The hardest part was keeping the bottom from burning.  This is partially because I have an electric stove (I would prefer gas) and partially because the pan I used was a bit thin.  If you are using an electric stove, be sure to keep the heat on low and keep an eye on it to watch for burning, and also try to choose a pan with a thicker base for better heat distribution.

Keyword: 30 Minute Dinners, Chorizo, Easy Recipes, Paella Recipe, Paella With Chorizo, Paella With Shrimp, Shrimp, Shrimp and Chorizo Paella, Weekend Meals, Weeknight Dinners

The Ultimate Easy Spanish Paella Recipe

*If you cannot find bomba rice you can use arborio. Be sure to follow package instructions for the amount of liquid, defer to package instructions if they are different than what is listed here.

*If you cannot find Spanish chorizo you can use andouille sausage or Kielbasa. Be sure you get the kind that is ready to eat and not one that is raw.

How

*I always use kosher salt. If you do not have kosher salt and are using regular table salt, reduce salt to ½ teaspoon and adjust for taste.

Easy One Pot Scallops & Chorizo Paella

*Nutritional information is an estimate and is provided as a courtesy for your convenience.  If you have any diet restrictions, please do your due diligence to make sure this recipe fits your needs. 

Nutritional information is an estimate for your convenience. If you have strict nutritional needs, please do your due diligence to make sure this recipe fits your needs.

Did you like this recipe? Please comment, rate and share! And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @ AND # so I can see what you made!of July here in the US and the national holiday naturally makes me yearn for… paella! Well, not just any paella, but

Langoustine And Chicken Paella

, a Mexican-style version inspired by my fellow blogger Non Chef Nick’s latest post on In the Kitchen with Nick. I absolutely love paella. Having not prepared it for quite some time and being on something of a Mexican ‘kick’ lately, when I saw his mouth-watering recipe for Mexican paella, I knew I had to try it. Sorry, Nick for being such a copycat, but you know what they say: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Being a man of simple tastes, I have reduced the number of ingredients quite a bit and simplified the technique here and there. Here’s my take:

Paella

Heat a well-seasoned paella pan over high heat, preferably on a barbecue or, even better, a paella burner. (If you don’t’ have either, you can make paella perfectly well over the stove, but it will lack that characteristic lightly smoky flavor.) When hot but not burning, add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan and sauté some Mexican chorizo. Meanwhile, char a couple of chiles poblanos over the flame and, when nicely

Weeknight Paella Recipe