Quinoa Paella Recipe

This easy vegetable paella is made in just one pan, ready in less than 40 minutes and packed full of that classic paella flavor. Feel free to add seafood or chicken too!

Me and paella go way back. When I was in college I studied abroad in Alicante, Spain, which is nestled on the Mediterranean coast, about three hours south of Barcelona. I stayed with a host family, who was lovely and didn't speak any English, and my Madre would often make us paella for lunch.

Quinoa

Lunch in Spain is a big deal. It's the main meal event of the day and often happens around 2 pm. The shops close down, everyone comes home from work and school, and you have a nice family meal, followed by an even nicer snooze. I just adored when I came home from University and smelled paella wafting down the hallway.

Shrimp + Sausage Quinoa Paella

When she made it, she used seafood, usually a blend of fish and shellfish. And paella rice, of course (which is similar to risotto/arborio rice). So today I'm giving you my vegetarian version of paella and uses my beloved quinoa instead of rice.

You're going to love how simple this paella is to make. We're only using one pan, an assortment of vegetables (that I bet you already have in your kitchen), just two spices and after just a little bit of simmer time, dinner is served.

Traditional paella uses saffron to flavor it, but if you can't find saffron or it's too expensive, you can substitute turmeric powder. The turmeric is going to throw the taste off a teeny bit, but you will still have that gorgeous yellow hue that paella is known for.

-

Vegetable & Quinoa Paella

And just like many of the recipes on this site, this quinoa paella is very customizable. You can change up the veggie combo based on what you have on hand, and feel free to add some meat or seafood if that's more your speed. If you're not a bean/chickpea fan but still want to keep it vegetarian, either leave them out entirely or you could add in some tempeh.

One thing I don't recommend skipping is artichokes. They bring a lovely salty note to the dish and you can taste their briny flavor throughout.

One

Oh, and the lemon. Definitely squeeze some lemon juice on before you serve it. The acid really brightens up the whole dish and helps the other flavors shine!

Quinoa, Sausage And Broad Bean Paella

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did! If you end up making it, share a pic and tag @ or use # on Instagram so I can find it and give you a little love in return ❤

Quinoa

Calories: 242 kcal | Carbohydrates: 30 g | Protein: 6 g | Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Sodium: 725 mg | Potassium: 460 mg | Fiber: 5 g | Sugar: 5 g | Vitamin A: 1845 IU | Vitamin C: 51.5 mg | Calcium: 62 mg | Iron: 2.9 mg

Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.

Easy

Recipe: Vegan Quinoa Paella. Brazil Nut, Citrus & Spices!

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did! If you end up making it, share a pic and tag @ or use # on Instagram so I can find it and give you a little love in return ❤

Quinoa

Calories: 242 kcal | Carbohydrates: 30 g | Protein: 6 g | Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Sodium: 725 mg | Potassium: 460 mg | Fiber: 5 g | Sugar: 5 g | Vitamin A: 1845 IU | Vitamin C: 51.5 mg | Calcium: 62 mg | Iron: 2.9 mg

Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.

Easy

Recipe: Vegan Quinoa Paella. Brazil Nut, Citrus & Spices!