Slimming World Chicken And Chorizo Paella

This chicken and chorizo paella is a real treat, for me I think because it tastes like ‘holiday food’ it evokes happy, sunny feelings even on a miserable day!

Inspired by Spanish chorizo, but adapted to work as a quick meal option this is bursting with the flavours of zingy lemon and smoky chorizo- a really simple paella that is always a crowd-pleaser.

Chicken

I didn’t use saffron in this recipe because it is an expensive ingredient to buy, and one that I don’t frequently use elsewhere. I don’t think that this recipe is lacking because of this- in fact I really think this version tastes great, and for such an easy recipe, which only takes 30 minutes to cook, you can’t really beat it.

Huge Sale Launches At Iceland On Slimming World Meals

Chorizo is one of my favourite ingredients to have on hand. It lasts for a long time in the fridge, and it has such a lot of flavour that it can jazz up boring dishes in an instant.

I only use a small amount of chorizo in this- for me it works as I don’t want the chorizo to be a completely overpowering flavour.

Also, if you are following Slimming World or are calorie counting, it keeps it low syn and low calorie compared to similar dishes. That said, different brands if chorizo vary greatly in fat content. One that I found in Asda was 4.5 syns for 35g, and Tesco does a reduced fat one in their Finest range which tastes great.

Slimming World Chicken & Chorizo Style Sausage Paella (550g)

I have found paella rice in Aldi, Tesco, Sainsburys and M&S, but if you have trouble finding it then you can supplement with arborio or long grain rice.

If you have a paella pan, great! If not, then you can use a saute pan (I do!)- you want it to be wide enough and non-stick for frying, but deep enough to hold all of the ingredients once they have been added.

Chicken

Prawns make a great addition to this paella, I fry them separately to cook them, and then stir them into the paella once it’s cooked through.

Slimming World Recipes

If you want to add some greens alongside this then quick cook vegetables such as green beans, asparagus or broccoli all complement it well.

Add any extra seafood that you fancy, or substitute the chicken for mussels and prawns. Green beans also work well added in.

Ready

My food is all about healthy, well balanced recipes that are made from scratch using whole foods and packed full of flavour.I’m a huge fan of chorizo. One of my favourite soups is chickpea and chorizo (you can find my tomato and chickpea soup recipe HERE – just add some chorizo and syn it!), so I’ve been looking forward to trying out this paella meal for a while. As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t tend to eat microwave meals, so it’s taken me some time to get round to it, but I finally got there this week!

Spanish Paella Seasoning And Spice Mix

This one is a complete meal in itself, although Slimming World do recommend that you add some speed food to make sure you’re sticking to the plan, so I steamed some veg to have on the side.

Chicken microwave meals do tend towards being a bit on the rubbery side, but, as with the other Slimming World ready meals, this one isn’t all that bad. The texture of the chicken isn’t as good as you would get if you cooked this from scratch yourself (incidentally, as with all the other Slimming World ready meals, the recipe is on the back of the pack, although it omits the chorizo and leaves it as a chicken paella), but it’s nowhere near as rubbery as some others I’ve tried in the past, and is quite pleasant.

Slimming

I like spicy food, and I could have done with a little extra spice here, but I know there are plenty of people who like their spices a little milder, and they’re well catered for here. If I were to have this in the future, I’d probably spice it up a bit.

Iceland Foods From Around The World Chicken, Prawn & Chorizo Paella 450g

The chorizo-style sausage isn’t quite as good as actual chorizo, but if Slimming World decide to bring that out as a product, I would be happy to give it a try to make my favourite soup syn-free! All in all, it wasn’t a bad effort on the sausage side – I’ve tasted a hell of a lot worse, and it was actually quite nice, It didn’t have the same texture as real chorizo would have, but it was fairly decent.

The rice and veg in the meal were tender, and the sauce throughout the dish is very nice. All in all, this is a pretty good meal – nice flavours and textures, and it’s enough that you feel you’re having a proper, filling meal. I’ll happily try making the paella from scratch myself, although I think I’ll syn some chorizo to add to it – unless Slimming World decide to start selling their syn-free version…

Syn

Please note, I WAS NOT PAID FOR THIS REVIEW, nor was I given this product for free – I bought it myself for my own personal use, and all opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Sw Recipe: Chicken & Chorizo Paella